Get in touch
Can manufacture of plastics be sustainable under the new EU taxonomy requirements?
April 17, 2023
The inclusion of plastic manufacturing as an eligible activity under the EU taxonomy has been controversial. However, the manufacturing of plastics in primary form and manufacture of plastic packing goods have been included in the technical screening criteria from the delegated acts. The EU has set strict requirements for when plastic manufacturing can be seen as sustainable.
The Celsia team sets out some of the key things to know about the new requirements:
- Manufacture of plastics in primary form can make a substantial contribution to climate change mitigation and climate change adaptation. It is categorized as a transitional activity. This means that where there is no technologically and economically feasible low-carbon alternative to an activity, it can qualify as contributing substantially to climate change mitigation where it supports the transition to a climate-neutral economy.
- Plastics in primary form must be fully manufactured by mechanical recycling of plastic waste, fully manufactured by chemical recycling of plastic waste, or be manufactured wholly or partially from renewable feedstock in order to qualify as sustainable.
- It must also have greenhouse gas emissions lower than those of equivalent plastics from fossil fuel feedstock.
- Manufacture of plastic packing goods can be sustainable if it complies with the criteria to make a substantial contribution to a transition to a circular economy.
- To qualify as sustainable, plastic packing goods must meet criteria for both choice of feedstock, and design of the product. Plastic packing goods should be made from feedstock that is 95% mechanically recycled, chemically recycled, biobased or CCU (Carbon Capture and Utilization) feedstock, and should apply design-for-recycling principles.
Top 5 posts
Corporate Sustainability Reporting Directive: what companies should know about new CSRD requirements
Looking for a software solution to calculate EU Taxonomy score?
Book a Demo
Book a demo to discuss with our experts how our solution can help you.
It only takes a moment to get started with Celsia.
Register now and see how we can help you!
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
June 7, 2023
Transition to a green economy: key benefits & risks for businesses
Read this blog to understand the green economy transition approach and its implications for businesses.
May 18, 2023
Minimum safeguards: What they mean and how to assess
Read this blog to understand the Minimum Safeguards in the EU Taxonomy
May 1, 2023
Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation for funds: key reporting requirements and practical tips for investment funds under the SFDR
Read this blog to understand the different types of reporting requirements prescribed by the SFDR.
April 24, 2023
Sustainability regulatory changes: Detailed overview & how to use tech to adapt to them
This blog discusses the upcoming changes in EU sustainability regulations, their motivation, potential consequences. It also explores how software can help companies report accurately, efficiently and improve their sustainability performance.
April 17, 2023
How to report on the EU Taxonomy as an investment fund?
Read this blog to find out everything about reporting as an investment fund